The Legal Department consists of the Corporation Counsel to provide legal services and advice to the Mayor, the City Council, and various Boards and Commissions as they establish and administer policies and programs to benefit Michigan City residents.
The Department's service takes on many forms, however, the Legal Department does not provide legal advice to private citizens.
Some of the services provided by the Department are as follows:
- Supervising legal affairs of the city
- Serving as legal advisor to various city departments
- Approving city contracts
- Ensuring the legality and form of city contracts
- Evaluating and determining course of action for municipal litigation
- Working with outside counsel
- Reviewing administration of liability and workman's compensation self-insurance programs
- Drafting and revising city ordinances and resolutions as necessary
- Enforcement and prosecution of city ordinances, including code and zoning