The Engineering Department is dedicated to providing the technical and leadership assistance necessary for the continual improvement and enhancement of the infrastructure of the City of Michigan City.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide technical assistance to the Board of Public Works & Safety.
- Coordinate proposed public works projects of the various departments of the City.
- Review construction drawings of proposed public works projects.
- Prepare bidding documents and specifications for the street and alley paving, and sidewalk replacement programs.
- General administration of the street and alley paving program.
- Process street and alley cut permits.
- Respond to questions pertaining to the infrastructure of the City.
- Serves as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) coordinator on behalf of the City and investigates and responds to complaints of alleged disability discrimination pertaining to City services, activities, programs, or benefits.
The City Engineer serves on the Economic Development Commission, Planning Commission and Sanitary Board.