- City Departments
- Sanitary District
If you have questions regarding billing, please call: 219-874-7799 for assistance.
Health Informational Flyer - Best Practices.
Lake Shore Drive Sanitary Sewer Alternatives
Long Beach Public Hearing Summary
Press Release - April 29, 2022 Special Meeting of the Board of Sanitary District Commissioners
Press Release - May 11, 2022 Special Meeting of the Board of Sanitary District Commissioners
Press Release - June 2, 2022 Special Meeting of the Board of Sanitary District Commissioners
Press Release - June 14, 2022 Special Meeting of the Board of Sanitary District Commissioners
Long Beach Sewer Public Hearing Recording
Smart 911 Sign-up
The Michigan City Sanitary District is responsible for the construction and maintenance of all sanitary sewers and storm sewers within the City of Michigan City Sanitary District, as well as the maintenance of all catch basins, and the treatment and processing all waters within the collection system. The department also maintains all court assigned drainage ditches, a full industrial pretreatment program, and a full service wastewater laboratory.
The Sanitary District also operates and maintains Striebel Pond, a flood control facility that includes family and dog-friendly outdoor recreational spaces for public use.
Commonly Requested Forms & Information
- Sanitary Sewer and/or Sanitary Lift Station Construction Permit Application
- Sanitary Sewer Lateral and Sewer Lateral Tap Permit Application
- Industrial Water & Sewer Use Survey
- Trail Creek Watershed Management Plan
- FEMA National Flood Insurance Program
- Brownfield Public Engagement Pamphlet
- RAVE Notification System Information
- Karwick Nature Park - Weaver Consultants and Engineers
- Cheney Run Stormwater Project - V3 Engineers
- US Hwy 20 and Striebel Arm Ditch Force Main Rerouting Project - John Doyle & Assoiciates
- South Gate Neighborhood Stormwater Improvement Project(Village Road/Crestwood Drive) - Haas & Associates
Environmental violations are not only unsightly, but they can be serious health and safety hazards. It is against City Ordinance for properties to contain:
- Uncollected trash, garbage, litter, or debris
- Demolition remains
- Appliances or furniture in the yard
- Auto parts and scrap metal
- Grass over 6 inches tall
- Fallen trees, stumps, dead trees, and cut brush
For questions about trash, garbage, litter or debris, please contact the Refuse Department.
For questions regarding grass, brush, and trees please contact Vector Control.
Sanitary DistrictPhysical Address
1100 E 8th Street
Michigan City, IN 46360
Phone: (219) 874-7799Fax: (219) 874-8053Emergency Phone: (219) 874-7799