- City Departments
- Business Owners
The Michigan City Fire Department is business-friendly!
We are here to help.
The first priority of the MCFD is prevention. We always prefer to stop a fire or emergency before it happens. Let us help you operate your business or rental units in the most safe, compliant and efficient way possible. Give us a call, our Fire Marshal and Public Information Officer are always happy to help business owners, employees, landlords and tenants with questions or concerns.
By order of Chapter 54 - FIRE PREVENTION AND PROTECTION ARTICLE I. - IN GENERAL Sec. 54-5. - Fire code compliance inspection; inspection fee established; posting of fire inspection certificate; penalty of the City of Michigan City, Indiana Municipal Code, the Fire Marshal:
- is authorized to enter and inspect all buildings and premises for the purpose of conducting an annual fire code compliance inspection and equipment testing;
- will charge an annual inspection fee of $30.00 for each fire code compliance inspection of a public business;
- It is the responsibility of the business owner to pay the annual inspection fee to the City Controller's Office.
- will provide each building or premise a fire inspection certificate to post in plain view upon completion of the annual fire inspection;
- will notify the business owner, the agent, or the occupant in writing of any violations found during inspection and provide no less that ten (10) days for the business owner to correct the violation.
Useful Links & Information for Business Owners
New businesses within the city limits must register with the City and pass an inspection by a City Inspector and the Fire Marshall prior to opening for business.
Please click here to download the New Business Registration form and contact the Planning & Inspection Department to schedule your inspection.
On November 7, 2017, the Michigan City Common Council adopted Ordinance 4455 creating Section 26-2 in Chapter 26 of the City Code to require new businesses to register with the Planning & Inspection Department prior to receiving water service. No new business will receive water service until a certificate of registration from the Planning & Inspection Department is provided to the Department of Water Works.
- Fire Watch
- Key Box Emergency Access
- Amusement & Entertainment Permit
- Place of Assembly Used for Overnight Sleeping
- Fire Extinguisher Training
- CPR Certifications
- Code of Ordinances
Fire AdministrationPhysical Address
Fire Administration Offices & Training Center
2510 Michigan Boulevard
Michigan City, IN 46360
Phone: (219) 873-1452Fax: (219) 873-1451Emergency Phone: 911