When the cold weather blows in, furnaces and heaters fire up to chase the chill from bones and homes. But sometimes there can be more entering your house than just the heat. There can be a threat you can't see, hear, smell or feel a silent killer.
As a service to Michigan City residents, the Michigan City Fire Department installs smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors (and batteries) when requested, and advises residents in maintaining the devices to help ensure that all of Michigan City's citizens are protected from the dangers of house fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Michigan City Fire Department has partnered with the Lindsey Obrien Kessling Foundation, commonly known as the LOK Wishing Tree Foundation, who has donated a limited number of carbon monoxide detectors to the MCFD to provide free of charge to residents in financial distress and the elderly. In November of 2010, Dorothy Kessling lost her daughter Lindsey, whom the foundation LOK is named, to carbon monoxide poisoning at the age of 22 in her Scottsdale, Arizona apartment.
MCFD is currently accepting donations so we can keep the Carbon Monoxide Detectors in stock and help more people in our community.
If you would like someone from the Fire Department to check your smoke detector, install a smoke detector, or install a carbon monoxide detector; or if you would like to make a donation to help support these efforts, please contact the Public Information Officer.