Residential Exterior Community Appeal Program (RECAP) is designed to provide grants to eligible applicants for the purpose of improvements to exterior appearances of individual houses; the pride of ownership and quality of life to the participants. In addition the program was developed to primarily assist homeowners who do not have the financial means to respond to code violations that may exist at their single-family, residential property.
Grant funding for the program is funded through the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program of the Indiana Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and administered by the City of Michigan City, Office of Planning and Inspection.
To be eligible you must own and occupy a home that needs and could benefit from minor, exterior improvements.
- Designated area program open to all Westside Neighborhood residents with very low, low, and moderate income homeowners.
- Household must meet Federal Income Guidelines.
- Property taxes must be current.
- EACH improvement MUST meet and pass any and all applicable City building code and permit requirements.
- Rental or multi-family (duplex, triplex, etc.) properties are not eligible.
The program provides one-time grants up to $15,000 for renovation of the exteriors and/or
yards of owner occupied single-family homes.