I have water backing up into my home from my sewer drains. What should I do?

Call the Sanitary District at 219-874-7799 and request a check for possible blockage or obstruction in the District's main line. If there is a main line blockage or obstruction, in the District main alone, it will be cleared by the Sanitary District and your drains will resume normal function. If the Sanitary District crew does not find a blockage in the main line, or if your drains are not functioning properly after the District cleans the main line, they will advise you that the problem may be in the "private" or homeowner's line from the District main to the home. The Sanitary District is not permitted to work on that line. You will be advised to contact a private sewer contractor. Private contractors will charge you for their services. They are listed in the phone book under "Sewer Contractors". The Sanitary District may not recommend or contact a private sewer contractor for you. 

Show All Answers

1. What does the Sanitary District charge for checking or cleaning the District main line and are there any restrictions on what the District can do for me?
2. What are the hours I can call for Sanitary District assistance to check or clean the District main line servicing my home?
3. The drains in my house are plugged or draining slowly. What should I do?
4. I have a bad "sewer gas (odor)" smell in my home. What should I do?
5. I have a problem with my sewer billing. Who should I call?
6. I have water backing up into my home from my sewer drains. What should I do?
7. There is flooding in the street in front of my home or at an intersection near me during a storm event. Who should I call?
8. Do I have to be home when the Sanitary District checks the main line?
9. I am digging on my property. Can you tell me where the sewer line from my house to the District's main is located?
10. I want to connect to the Sanitary District main sewer line. How do I go about this?